You must try putting the ac-dc adapter disconnect the battery. If the power laptop work the system is o.k 2) try to put again the battery start again if the system work gread. If doesnt. proceed as: disconnect the power adpater+battery and proceed to make a HARD RESET:Hold THE POWER BUTTON BY 60 SECONDS, and try again putting the adpater+battery and try again. this will be fix it the problem.
However if the problem remain. test this a) measure the ouput for adpater see the indication voltage will be 17.2 -18 vdc use teh VOM, if doesnot have any voltae the adapter is faulty. open and repair or replace b) test the battery with the software diagnostic coming with the computer or download from the www. dell.com and test the battery condition.
However the power supply can be faulty inside, some capacitor, diode, resistor, can be open or faulty or short. Test the fuse or c. breaker, insider( the adpater has a fuse inside your must open carefully).
God bless you
So if the internal battery is dead wouldn't the power button light up? Maybe the lights come on or blink or something? Because this thing is doing an impression of a doorstop. Also, the battery has a full charge, so if it was the brick, I would think it would still turn on via the battery. We are checking the internal battery and someone is coming to test the ac adaptor (it is blinking green rapidly). I'm quietly wondering if the adaptor could have shorted out the mobo.
RJ, thank you for the manual!
Thank you Franklin and Ernesto, I have to wait for a new battery but the adaptor was ok. I'm still worried about the ombo because it was very hot when it shut down and that seemed to be by that integrated chip at the far end of the thermocooling assembly when we took it apart. Just guessing though.
The DC connection is solid, so that isn't it either.