MacBook not recognizing battery, not even in coconutbattery
So here is the problem:
I wanted to upgrade a Macbook Pro 15 Mid 2012 from 4 GB of RAM to 8 GB and switch the HDD for an SSD.
I followed the regular procedure:
- Turned off the macbook
- Opened the case
- Disconnected the battery
- Made the RAM and SSD replacement
- Reconnected the battery
- Case back on
After doing so, I installed macOS Sierra and noticed that the battery icon was gone. I tried disconecting the power cord and the laptop shut down.
I looked over the internet, tried the SMC reset, the P-RAM reset, tried disconecting the battery and reconecting, all that to no success.
The laptop was bought in 2013, the battery has 3 years of intense usage, I don't know the cycles or life as the laptop wasn't mine.
In coconutBattery, the battery doesn't show up.
Is this a case of a dead battery only?
Could it be the RAM or SSD causing trouble?
I get the battery icon with an X only on login screen, after loging in i don't even get the battery icon.
Should I get a new battery to test it out?
I mean, the laptop works great with the power cord conected, nothing fails...
Can you help figure out whats wrong?
I have not been able to get a new battery to test it, but I tried resetting the SMC several times (The light in the charger does not change...);
I did the P RAM reset several times too;
Using a multimeter, is there a way I can check if the pins of the battery connector are receiving power?
I mean, I have been reading a lot about SMC getting fried and I'm praying that's not the scenario here...
I did not see any sparks or whatever like in some people cases... I used a proper plastic pry tool to remove the battery all the times, so i don't think I could have caused any king of short.
Whats bothering me is the coincidence, has anyone ever experienced a battery that dies from being disconnected for a while and then reconnected? It was 89% when I got the laptop before the update.
Here are photos of the logic board. If anyone could point me out the components I should check with a multimeter, I would be very grateful.