Why can't my laptop stay on more than 20 seconds?
My ASUS TUF Dash F15 has suddenly stopped working. It was manufactured in January 2021 and I owned it ever since. It crashed twice (instant black screen) and now it won't turn on correctly.
- On battery, it doesn't turn on at all, no lights nor sounds come on.
- On power, the orange led for battery charging turns on. It turns on with all lights on, screen working and booting. But after 20 seconds or so it all shuts down again, all lights out, including the battery charging orange led.
I can quickly glance at the BIOS before it shuts down, it says the fans are not turning. The CPU heat slowly goes up, I think it shuts down around 50 degrees celsius? The battery seems to be charging, last I checked it was at 83% and I see no bulging (I unplugged it still to be safe). Tried different power adaptors and sockets, same result.
I'm assuming there's a problem with the power or the fans (or both)?
A few warning signs that may be related that happened before this breakdown:
- The day before this happened I was getting pop-ups saying the UI was switching between different modes (eco, turbo, normal...). Never saw that before, it was odd and annoying, I made it stop by changing the power setting manually.
- I've had USB and internet connectivity issues with it recently, but less likely to be related (who knows though).
- My partner said the fans were sometimes running very loudly when my lid was shut down/computer supposedly sleeping. And that they were not always running when I was playing games and such (or at least he couldn't hear them).
What would be my best course of action? Asus repair service is awful, and my partner and I never repaired a laptop before, only desktop computers. I didn't see any guide on the website for this laptop model; and even so, how do I diagnose the exact source of the issue?
Thanks in advance for your help!
Attached are photo of the inside and video when the laptop shuts down with BIOS open.