0xc000014C error screen on startup
Alternative Info error messages. Your PC will probably display “Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.” with File: as “\Boot\BCD”, but users reported others, such as:
Info: Windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing or is corrupt
Info: The Boot Configuration Data for your PC is missing or contains errors
0xc000014C error screen
Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:
1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next."
3. Click "Repair your computer."
If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance
Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.
The Windows 8/10 info message looks like this:
Windows Recovery Environment
Your PC needs to be repaired
The Boot configuration data for your PC is missing or contains errors.
Error code: 0x000014c
You'll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media. If you don't have any installation media (like a disc or USB device), contact your system administrator or PC manufacturer.
Causes of this Error
This error has been known to occur as a result of one or more of the following:
Cause 1: BCD is missing or corrupt
One of the most common causes of this error is the BCD that became missing or corrupt. That could happen because of disk write errors, power outages, boot sector viruses, or errors made while configuring the BCD manually.
Cause 2: File system integrity compromised
For the same reasons, the file system itself may become corrupt or damaged. That happens even more often if one turns off a PC while it is in the middle of writing crucial data to the boot sector.
Cause 3: System files are damaged
The system files may also become corrupt or damaged for the same reasons.
Fixing “0xc000014C” on Windows
Windows Setup CD/DVD Required!
Some of the solutions below require the use of the Microsoft Windows setup CD or DVD. If your PC did not come with a Windows installation disc or if you no longer have your Windows setup media, you can use Easy Recovery Essentials for Windows instead. EasyRE will automatically find and fix many problems, and can also be used to solve this problem with the directions below.
Fix #1: Rebuild BCD via Easy Recovery Essentials
Easy Recovery Essentials’ one-click automated system repair feature incorporates full repair and reconstruction of the BCD to resolve the “0xc000000f” error, even in cases where Windows won’t boot as a result of the error.
The automated boot repair component of EasyRE will address all BCD-related issues, fixing the BCD or recreating it from scratch using the correct encoding and path for the partition that is refusing to load properly.
Easy Recovery Essentials can fix many errors such as this automatically using its built-in Automated Repair option. EasyRE is currently available for Windows XP, Vista, 7 and 8 and can be downloaded and created on any PC.
1. Download Easy Recovery Essentials. Make sure to note your Windows version (XP, Vista, 7 or 8) before you download EasyRE. This guide can help you identify what version of Windows you have installed.
2. Burn the image. Follow these instructions on how to burn the bootable ISO image very carefully, as making a bootable CD can be tricky! Alternatively, these instructions explain how to create a bootable EasyRE recovery USB stick/drive.
3. Boot up your PC from the Easy Recovery Essentials CD or USB you created.
4. Once EasyRE is running, choose the “Automated Repair” option and click Continue and Choose “Automated Repair” in Easy Recovery Essentials
5. After EasyRE scans your computer’s drives, identify and select the drive letter for your Windows installation from the list, and then click on the Automated Repair button to begin. Choose the drive associated with the Windows installation you’re trying to repair.
6. Easy Recovery Essentials will start analyzing the selected drive for problems. EasyRE will test for and attempt to automatically correct errors with the disk, partition, bootsector, filesystem, bootloader, and registry. No intervention is required, as EasyRE’s repair is fully automated:
Easy Recovery Essentials searches for errors and makes corrections to the selected Windows installation.
7. Once the process is complete, EasyRE will report its findings. Click on the Restart button to reboot your PC and test the changes.
8. The “0xc000014C” error should now be fixed as your PC begins to load: Windows, booting up successfully.
This is from here......https://neosmart.net/wiki/0xc000014c/