Can't Restore iPod- unknown error occurred (1416)
I had an issue where my 60GB 5th Generation iPod ran out of juice and then could not be recharged. I bought and installed a new battery. With the new battery, the disk made clicking noises and could not be restored. Here's my story since then:
- I bought a new 80GB hard drive and installed it.
- The new hard drive could not be restored in iTunes
- I bought and installed new ribbon cable to no avail
- returned hard drive and ordered new one.
- Installed 2nd 80GB HD installed with new cable
- Itunes detects iPod and tells me it needs restoring
- I get error: The iPod "iPod" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1416)
- I can put iPod into Disk Mode but it does not mount.
- I tried erasing iPod in Disk Utility but it fails with the following error: Disk Erase failed with the error: Resource busy
- I tried repartitioning
- I tried the Terminal reformatting technique and came back with Resource busy.
- I opened in Drive Genius which can detect iPod, give me info on it and am performing an integrity check on it right now. DG failed to erase iPod.
- Tried opening in Disk Warrior, but did not detect iPod.
- I can scan the iPod with data recovery software.
Any other ideas out there? I've used my macbook pro as well as a PC to no avail. To sum up, new battery, hard drive and ribbon cable. What else could I try?