MacBook Pro kills wi-fi hardware.
Hi Ifixit community,
As stated in the title, I'm facing an issue, pretty big, pretty annoying. My MacBook Pro, despite multiple attempts of repair, seems to kill its wifi hardware ! I'll randomly have wifi working, then when it'll wake from sleep, it won't work anymore, but the bluetooth will.
This is going to be a pretty long and weird story that I'm going to tell, you, is order to get some help :
- My problem started 3 weeks ago, going back home from the library, my dad asked me to set up the Amazon fire tv, and so I took out my Mac in order to log in to Amazon, and how surprised I was when I found out that the wifi was not working. Fine, let's restart everything, hopefully everything will get to normal, which was the case for a few minutes, to actually lose again the connection.
- Alright so this must be a software issue, let's wipe the drive and reinstall Mac OS. This seems to not be working, it must be a hardware issue then.
- I took out my other MacBook Pro from 2011, to actually swap both the AirPort cards, this was half solving my problem, as the wifi was working fine, but the bluetooth wasn't. So the problem must have been from there, let's order a genuine one from eBay. This again gave me fake hopes as this was making my Mac work as is used to, but one week after the repair, I was back at the initial point.
- Took my laptop to my local repair shop, the guy stated this was a software issue as I also got a Windows partition via BootCamp. Back at wiping the drive and reinstalling the OS, nothing changed.
- I've been then tearing my computer apart, to see in what shape were the antennas, there was nothing really alarming ( See joined pictures ), except for one of them, which was not looking good, but at least was not chopped off.
- To not leave any doubt, I attempt a last hope repair, by swapping this time not the airport cards, but the actual antennas from my other Mac, this again was looking good, to actually turn pretty bad.
At the moment I'm typing this text, I just got out of the train, where the laptop worked fine, just entered college library, and wi-fi is out of order, but the bluetooth is not. Thanks god I got my iMac at home, else I'd be screwed up/
Can you please guys help me ? How the hell could you explain the way how a MacBook kills its wi-fi hardware ?
If you need any further details, I'd be pleased to give you anything to solve this problem.
Thanks a lot.