- The Nexus Q won't turn on
- The Nexus Q won't connect to the router
- LED display isn't working
- Dome is having trouble rotating
The Nexus Q won't turn on ¶
The Nexus Q needs to be reset ¶
You can factory reset your Nexus Q without using your phone or tablet:
- Unplug the Nexus Q, then plug it in again.
- As soon as the ring LED lights up, place your palm over the single LED on top.
- The ring LED starts flashing red. Keep your palm in place until the ring LED stops pulsing red and starts circling blue (about 10 seconds).
If you lift your palm too soon, the LED turns solid red. If this happens, unplug and plug in the Nexus Q again to start over.
Once the reset is complete, the Nexus Q starts up again, displaying a rotating blue spot. After a short time, it displays a solid color to indicate it's ready to set up again.
During a successful reset, the ring LED pulses purple to indicate that it's wiping all data.
The Nexus Q won't connect to the router ¶
Troubleshooting routers ¶
If you receive an error during setup, or if all of your Nexus Qs display as "Not Available" in the Nexus Q app, you might need to change some settings with your Wi-Fi router. Here are some troubleshooting steps to try:
- Check if your router is on the list of routers with known issues
- Reboot your router (unplug it and plug it back in)
- Make sure that "Isolation Mode" or any other mode that restricts communication between devices on your network is not enabled in your router settings. (See Accessing Router Settings)
- Make sure that you're router does not have a "Guest Mode" enabled, as this will also prevent communication between your networked devices.
- If your router has a setting for "Multicast," enable it and try using your Nexus Q again.
- If you've connected your Nexus Q to your router using Ethernet, try using Wi-Fi instead
- Check to see if your router has a firmware update available.
- Try resetting your router to factory settings. Many routers have a reset button on the back that can be used as follows:
- While the router is still on, press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds.
- Unplug the router, but continue holding the reset button for an additional 30 seconds.
- Finally, plug the router back in while continuing to hold the reset button for 30 final seconds. (Hold the reset button for 90 seconds total)
Replace the Taoglas PU18 Wi-Fi Dual Band Antenna ¶
If the Nexus Q won't connect with your router, the dual band antenna may need to be replaced. Follow Nexus Q Taoglas PU18 Wi-Fi Dual Band Antenna Replacement for instruction on replacing this component.
Replace the NFC antenna ¶
If the Nexus Q won't connect with your router, the near field connection antenna may need to be replaced. Follow Nexus Q NFC Antenna Replacement for instruction on replacing this component.
Make sure device is compatible ¶
To operate your Nexus Q, you can use any Android phone or tablet that supports Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) or higher and OpenGL ES 2.0. Here are a few examples:
- Galaxy Nexus phone or Nexus 7 tablet running Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0) or higher.
- Xoom or Galaxy tablet running Honeycomb (Android 3.2) or higher.
- Nexus S phone running Gingerbread (Android 2.3) or higher.
You also need to download and install the latest Nexus Q app. If your phone or tablet supports Android Beam, just hold it near the top of your Nexus Q after it arrives. After a moment, Google Play opens to the page where you can download the app. (It's free.)
LED display isn't working ¶
Replace Inner dome daughterboard ¶
If LED display for Nexus Q is not working, the LED light, which is located in the daughterboard on the inner dome of the Q, may need to be replaced. Follow Nexus Q Inner Dome Daughterboard Replacement for instruction on replacing this component.
Replace LED board ¶
The LED board plays a crucial role in the LED display, and may need to be replaced. Follow Nexus Q LED Board Replacement for instruction on replacing this component.
Dome is having trouble rotating ¶
Replace the Ball bearing ring ¶
If the dome is having trouble rotating, you may have to replace the ball bearing ring. Follow Nexus Q Ball Bearing Ring Replacement for instruction on replacing this component.