changing OS to windows 7
since this netbook performs badly on windows xp is it a good idea to change OS to windows 7?
2008 netbook; Model ZG5 AOA150-1691; 8.5" screen; 1.6 GHz N270 Intel Atom Processor
E Carson gives good advice--you need to know your computer will run 7 before you purchase it. That said Win 7 is a much better OS than XP and I would definitely upgrade. I would recommend the OEM package for $99 unless you are planning to sell the netbook soon. (The retail version is $200) Windows 8 is scheduled for release late next year (maybe) and if replacing the computer after that you probably would want the newer system. + for Carson.
Windows 7 system requirements are somewhat higher than windows XP
I have tried Windows 7 on one of these and it runs waaay too slow my suggested alternative to Windows XP is Ubuntu Linux its free it works with this machine pretty much out of the box! (www.ubuntu.com)
windows xp service and support will not offer anymore from micorsoft. if you use windows xp you may have security issues so i would sugest you to update OS to win 7. if you expect proformance of the laptop you can update the RAM up to 3GB. :-) 2GB is engouh as you run 32bit os
I was able to install a Windows 10 (test install) and it worked very well with the touch pad and all functionalities of the AcerOne.
Only issue is that I can not install the Windows 10 licensed version after the test install expired.
I'll persevere and let you know how well Windows 10 install/works.
One of the things I find interesting is the anti-windows/gates nonsense. You need to build a system that suits YOUR needs and budget, not the political whims of others. As a professional writer with several systems I use Windows, Ubunto & Mac OS. As XP goes away soon, I will move my older netbooks to Ubuntu exclusively. However, I am still faced with the need to use Microsoft software, which I can do on an upgraded desktop and my old Mac. But for portable use, I eventually will have to get a Windows machine so I can run Word. I use Both Word and LibreOffice Writer, but the latter is good mostly for draft work. If heavy editing is required, along with other formatting, Word is better than LibreOffice Writer. At least I can meet 80% of my needs with LibreOffice, but the other 20% requires the MS product. For photowork, GIMP does a pretty good job vs Photoshop - but I am not a high end photo guy - those folks need Photoshop. For layout, nothing beats Adobe InDesign (the open source alternates are crap), so you have to gag on the price. Fortunately, I can do all that I need with older versions. So--I can write a novel in LibreOffice/Ubuntu but I cannot efficiently design a book interior for upload to CreateSpace with it. There are many other limitations as well. In short, I recognize and honor the budgetary implications of going open source - but that should be the consideration - not the political BS.
Windows 7 Starter works well on the ZG5. The Starter version is designed for Atom processors. I am typing this on the ZG5-W7 Stater now. CPU usage jumps to 90 - 95% during page loads but quickly drops. 1gb ram installed and seems to hover around 47% with 4 tabs open on Chrome.
I am using the Acer Aspire One ZG5, and this is 2015. Something special about this little computer. My advice is to run Ubuntu 14.04 32 bit. Not many of these netbooks still around, since they are being replaced by the tablet market. But if anyone still has one, they are still usable. Check my response earlier in this post for ideas.
igraph65, I must say that I appreciate you suggesting Ubuntu. I myself am a Linux user, currently running modified Kali Linux but I started with Ubuntu as my first Linux Disto. For a 32 bit installation of Windows 7 your computer needs 1gb ram while a 64 bit installation requires 2gb ram. I'm sure that one could get Windows 7 to install on a system with specs not quite matching the recomendations but things might not go well. That being said, anyone out there that's feeling adventurous and would love to try a free and MUCH MUCH better OS than Windows, look into either Linux Mint or Ubuntu (note that Linux comes in a variety of desktop flavors so be sure to look into that before installing the first one you find. Ubuntu for example has Lubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubunu. Each of which portrays your desktop environment in different ways) IN A WORLD WITH NO WALLS, WHO NEEDS GATES AND WINDOWS?
I have got a Acer Aspire one zg5 which had xp os before. Now it is installed windows 7 starter service 1. Got 1 gb ram with 32 bit. I am feeling that nowadays it is lagging. So, what is the good solution for my netbook? Can anyone suggest me what is the best way for my netbook? Thank you.
지난 24시간: 3
지난 7일: 20
지난 30일: 119
전체 시간: 32,988